We can’t always afford to take a ten day vacation, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take a mini vacation to quell the travel bug within. Everyone needs a vacation and sometimes you just can’t wait to save up to go on a month-long getaway, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a weekend getaway.
1. Pick somewhere nearby to ensure you don’t spend your whole trip travelling. You don’t have to fly to the other side of the world to explore a new place, sometimes it’s one of the neighbouring towns or if you live near a border it might be quite quick to travel to another country. I’m planning a trip to the U.S. as I live near the Canadian border so this makes a quick trip possible. Going to a new country is not necessary however, you’ll find there are plenty of beautiful places to go close to home.
2. Make a plan. Try to think about the areas you want to go and do some research. You don’t want to be running back and forth all over the place wasting time you could be using to relax or explore. For example if you’re wanting to explore the inner city of wherever you’re visiting, it’s in your best interest to book a hotel in that region. Having a loose idea of places you would like to go helps avoid aimless wandering, or worse, getting lost. Reading reviews of local bars and restaurants in the area also helps you find places worth visiting and helps you find great local hangouts you may not stumble upon organically. If you’re travelling with friend get their input as well so that everyone gets to go see what they want. This helps give everyone a well rounded experience if you have some different interests.
3. Research your hotel. Like I mentioned above you want to make sure if you’re staying in a hotel that it is relatively close to where you’ll be exploring. It may be pricier to stay in a downtown core but it will save you time being closer to all the tourist attractions. This doesn’t mean you have to be in the most expensive hotel available, but I do suggest staying somewhere within walking distance. After all we are short on time here. When booking your hotel make sure to read EVERYTHING about the location you’re staying in. Make sure if you have certain preferences that the hotel explicitly claims to have those things. If you’d like a pool make sure you search for hotels with a pool included in their amenities to avoid being potentially disappointed. You’d be amazed how many people skip this step and end up booking a hotel they’re not happy with. You’ll also want to read the reviews the hotel has received to see if it’s a good fit for you. If there are a bunch of reviews saying the hotel is dirty STAY AWAY! If the reviews claim that it’s a noisy environment, this may not be the place for you if you’re a light sleeper. You don’t need to be picky to choose the right hotel for you, you just need to be well informed.
4. Buy everything ahead of time if you can. If you need to purchase plane tickets or boat tickets typically buying them in advance will get you a better deal as well as saving you the headache of worrying about not making a flight or a boat filling up and leaving without you. You can also add the digital tickets to your wallet on your iPhone so that everything is quick and easily accessible without having to dig through all your belongings to find boarding passes. If there’s a popular attraction you’d like to see like a monument or art gallery, you can almost always buy the tickets online ahead of time for a few dollars cheaper than buying them when you get there.
5. Make time to deviate from the plan. You don’t want to pencil in every single detail of your trip. Leaving time to explore the new places will leave you feeling relaxed and refreshed (the whole point of going on vacation if you ask me). This leaves time for you to stumble upon new finds you may not have found doing your research. If you’re unsure of where to wander, make use of the people working in your hotel, they’ll be familiar with all the popular tourist destinations as well as their own favourite places to hang out.
Have you gone on a speedy vacation lately? Where did you go? Let me know your Favorite parts down below. Happy Wednesday everyone!